Wednesday, June 4, 2008

and the honeymoon is over ....

I said this before, and ill say it again - at one point when you travel and have an extended stay you will hit a wall. This is the end of the honeymoon stage. Things are no longer exciting and interesting. You realize that this new existence is your norm to bear for how ever long you are staying in that location. For me, 2 months more, which seems long considering ive been in Rome less than a week and already feel like that if ive seen one church and piazza, ive seen them all. I would love to continue to visit new places and try new foods but the mighty euro is killing me. If these feelings were not enough to get me down, i think i ripped someone off today as well and feel really bad about it. I went to buy a slice of pizza and went to pay but didnt have exact change. I know he asked if i had a certain coin but Im sure if i gave him too much and he didnt have the change or I i didnt give him enough. Frustrated, I stormed off with the pizza and now feel i need to go explain myself. This pizzeria is in my neighborhood so im likely to go again - but not if they think i steal! Granted, it was only about 4 cents but still! When i get tired, I do not have the patience to figure out a new language. Furthermore, the pizza wasnt to my liking. It was super salty and had no tomato sauce on it whatsoever. (can you tell im cranky at the moment?)

I was pretty tired by then because I did explore a new area of Rome today after work. From my office, I walked to the Pantheon which is a building in Rome which was originally built as a temple to all the gods of Ancient Rome. It is the best preserved building in Rome and the Pantheon has been used as a christian church since the seventh century. I then meandered to the Piazza San Marco & Church de San Marco. I think there are over 800 churches in Rome alone so there is now way im going to see them all! Right next door is the Piazza Venezia and la Vittoriano or (National Monument of Victor Emmanuel II). This momument cuts into the side of Hill near the forum, is all in white marble, and honors the first king of unified Italy. Very beautiful indeed. I then wandered back to the roman forum for a while, through a public park were many kids were playing basketball, and finally to metro to head home (after two hours my feet were sore). Even with all these new discoveries though, I cant help but feel lonely. Everywhere you look in Rome there is couple making out or enjoying the sites together-it truly is a romantic scene. I think this trip maybe the last one i do alone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't lose heart. You may feel alone, but you forget...being 'alone' now can lead to wonderful new friendships that you may not have made if you were with someone else, plus you can do what you want! There is no one around to say "I don't want to do that!" Enjoy the experience for what it is, some people never get to see some of the wonderful things you have seen.